The Framers of the U.S. Constitution designed a government system that divided power between the national and state governments. This had the express purpose of preserving the liberty of individuals. Spencer agrees with James Madison that the responsibilities and powers of the federal government were to be few and defined, while the powers and responsibilities of states were numerous and indefinite.
Unfortunately, over time the balance of power between the states and the federal government has become misaligned. As governor, Spencer will be a vocal champion of the ideals of federalism—working to return power, resources, and decision-making back to the states where they rightfully belong. If the balance of power is going to change, Utah will need to lead.
- Rebuild the Economy
- Transform Our Education System
- Stand by our 2nd Amendment rights
- Restore Utah’s Values of Civility and Service
- Defend the Constitution
- Support and Strengthen Utah’s Families
- Make Corporate Tax Incentives Work Harder for Us
- Create the Right Kinds of Jobs
- Manage Utah’s Public Lands Fairly
- Protect the Right to life
- Give Rural Utah a Voice
- Make our state work better for taxpayers